Nombre total de pages vues

lundi 23 avril 2012

"Now, after thinking about pleasures of food for weeks, all I want is a blueberry muffin" Myself

This entry will be the last message on this blog, I mean as long as my literature module is concerned, I may continue writing on this blog later. I took a lot of pleasure to write on this blog and make research about pleasure provided by food and I want to conclude with some little things.

First, I want to talk about the book I am currently reading, a novel written by Sarah Addison Allen entitled The Sugar Queen. This tells the story of a twenty-seven-year-old woman who lives under her mother's thumb and only finds comfort in sweet food she hides in her cupboard. One day, she discovers that a woman is hiding in her cupboard as well... I cannot tell you what happens next because I did not read the whole book yet but I cannot wait. I am not sure that this quick summary would make people excited about reading this book but the way it is written is very pleasant and the story is pretty relaxing even if it is not the most original plot ever. Anyway, if I am talking about this book it is because, as the title suggests, there are several excerpts about food, the pleasure provided by sugar and the important role it can play in someone's life. When the character speaks about the food hidden in her cupboard, it is as if she was talking about the best thing she has in her life, the only thing she can take pleasure from. In her case, food is not a matter of cooking, it is not about eating alone or with company, it is not doing everything for taking pleasure in dealing with food, it is having nothing else than food to feel happy.

Before concluding, I would like to cite all the books, blogs and websites I used to build my own blog.

Books
  • Adler, T (2011) An Everlasting Meal: Cooking With Economy And Grace, Scribner
  • Allen, S. A (2008) The Sugar Queen, Publishers Weekly
  • Blythman, J (2006) Bad Food Britain: How A Nation Ruined Its Appetite, London: Fourth Estate
  • Cutler, B (2007) 211 Things A Bright Girl Can Do, Harper Collins Entertainment
  • Jones, J (2009) The Pleasures Of Cooking For One, Knopf Publishing Group
  • Nothomb, A (2000) The Character Of Rain, England: Mackays of Chatham
  • Proust, M (1913-1927) In Search Of Lost Time, Vintage
  • Ridgwell, J (1996) Examining Food & Nutrition, Heinemann Educational Publishers
  • Rowling, J. K (2003) Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix, Bloomsbury
  • Warde, A. & L. Martens (2000) Eating Out: Social Differentiation, Consumption and Pleasure, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
  • Yonan, J (2011) Serve Yourself: Nightly Adventures In Cooking For One, Ten Speed Press

Websites
Film
  • Burton, T. (2005) Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

As a conclusion, I think I would say that pleasure revolving around food is quite a tricky topic since there are many different situations and many different kind of pleasures that can be studied. I am perfectly aware that there are still many things I could say about the subject and I would love keep studying it and write new entries about this.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire